Most Active Stories
- A Tree's Life: From The North Carolina Mountains To Your Living Room
- North Carolina To End Use Of Gas Chambers In Animal Shelters
- The Militarization Of North Carolina's Police
- North Carolina: Conservatives, Educators Debate Content Of AP U.S. History Class
- Panthers: Cam Newton Has Two Fractures In His Lower Back
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
State of Things
Tue March 27, 2012
Who Owns the Arctic?
The question of who owns the Arctic is under consideration at a conference hosted at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill this week. The issue of Arctic sovereignty has arisen largely in response to climate change.
The melting of sea ice poses great risks and great economic possibilities. Host Frank Stasio will discuss who's at play and what's at stake with Michael Byers, Canada Research Chair in Global Politics and International Law at the University of British Columbia; and Susan Crate, Associate Professor of Anthropology in the department of Environmental Studies at George Mason University.