Second of two stories. Click here for the first. North Carolina is one of just two states that automatically charges 16- and 17-year-olds as adults in the criminal justice system. But in several counties, the court system is working with local law enforcement to give would-be young offenders a second chance.
Breast-feeding has many known health benefits, but there's still debate about how it may influence kids' behavior and intelligence. Now, a new study published in Pediatrics finds that children who are breast-fed for at least six months as babies have less hyperactive behavior by age 3 compared with kids who weren't breast-fed. But the study also finds that breast-feeding doesn't necessarily lead to a cognitive boost. Researchers studied 8,000 children in Ireland. At ages 3 and 5, the kids...
Marc Edwards has been named among the most influential people in the world by Time, Fortune, Politico, and Foreign Policy Magazine. Edwards is a professor of civil and environmental engineering at Virginia Tech , and he blew the whistle on the water crisis in Flint, Mich . His fight for clean water started long before Flint became national news. Edwards spent 13 years and hundreds of thousands of dollars of his own money fighting city officials and state representatives to reveal water-safety...
Like & Follow WUNC
- Russia jails protests leader Alexei Navalny for 15 days
- Jared Kushner to be questioned over alleged Trump-Russia ties
- Solid gold coin worth $4m stolen from Berlin museum
- IS conflict: US-backed force pauses assault on Syria's Tabqa dam
- Cyclone Debbie: Thousands flee as Australia braced for 'monster' storm
- School children killed in Japanese avalanche