Wake County Commission Chair Jessica Holmes understands kids who grow up not always knowing where they’ll find their next meal.
On a melancholy Saturday this past February, Shalon Irving's "village" — the friends and family she had assembled to support her as a single mother — gathered at a funeral home in a prosperous black neighborhood in southwest Atlanta to say goodbye. The afternoon light was gray but bright, flooding through tall, arched windows and pouring past white columns, illuminating the flag that covered her casket. Sprays of callas and roses dotted the room like giant corsages, flanking photos from...
Music as a form of protest has a long history in the U.S. Activists have used songs to guide countless movements, from the abolition fight in the 1700s to anti-Vietnam War demonstrations and beyond.
Like & Follow WUNC
- Venezuela opposition banned from running in 2018 election
- Netanyahu: Palestinians must face reality over Jerusalem
- California wildfires: Santa Barbara threatened by Thomas fire
- Nobel Peace Prize winner Ican warns nuclear war 'a tantrum away'
- German spy agency warns of Chinese LinkedIn espionage
- Bitcoin futures trading begins on Cboe exchange in Chicago