Updated 1:17 p.m., Sept. 25 Vacationers are packing up and business owners are bracing for another financial hit this season as Hurricane Maria churns offshore of North Carolina's Outer Banks.
North Korea's foreign minister says President Trump's tweets about the Korean nation amount to a declaration of war and that under international law, his country can legally shoot down U.S. military planes — even if they're not in North Korea's airspace. "For the past couple of days, we had earnestly hoped that the war of words between North Korea and the U.S. would not lead to action," Ri Yong Ho said in remarks translated for NPR by journalist Jihye Lee. "However, Trump had ultimately...
On a winter evening in 1864, the H. L. Hunley became the first combat submarine to sink a warship. The vessel successfully sank its target but then disappeared along with its eight crew members. The Hunley was not found until 1995, when a number of hypotheses as to why it sank rose to the surface. But after hundreds of hours of calculations and experiments, a North Carolina-based naval engineer came up with a new theory: the Hunley sank itself with the blast it created by firing on the USS...
Like & Follow WUNC
- North Korea accuses US of declaring war
- German election: Merkel vows to win back right-wing voters
- Trump NFL row: US president denies comments were race-related
- UN accuses Russia of violating human rights in Crimea
- Iraqi Kurdistan votes in independence referendum
- Hong Kong gay rights: British lesbian wins spousal visa case