The U.S. Supreme Court on Thursday delayed a lower-court order that would have forced North Carolina Republican lawmakers to redraw the state's congressional districts by next week because of excessive partisan bias in current lines.
Updated at 8:46 p.m. ET The House passed a stopgap funding bill Thursday evening, though the measure now faces uncertainty in the Senate as Republican congressional leaders work to avert a government shutdown by late Friday night. Republicans need 60 votes in the Senate to proceed on the four-week continuing resolution, which would extend funding only until Feb. 16. That is looking more and more difficult after most Democrats and at least three Republican senators have said they won't vote...
The North Carolina General Assembly passed legislation last summer aimed at preventing violence during police stops. House Bill 21 instructed that the Department of Motor Vehicles update the driver’s license handbook to include updated guidelines for behavior during a police stop.
Like & Follow WUNC
- US shutdown begins as Senate fails to pass new budget
- Pope Francis warns of threat to Amazon peoples on Peru visit
- Asian wildlife trafficking 'kingpin' Boonchai Bach arrested
- Mattis: US national security focus no longer terrorism
- Workers cleared over Canada rail disaster
- Larry Nassar case: Olympic champ Jordyn Wieber reveals abuse