Memorial Day can be especially difficult for relatives of service members who died by suicide. They often feel stigmatized, even around other military families.
Amy Pittman learned on her first day in jail to bottle up her grief. As soon as she arrived, guards took her shoelaces so she wouldn't try to hang herself. Cry too much or scream too loud and she feared they would come back to take everything she had left — her clothes, a sheet, a plastic spork.
African-American women have fought against discrimination in the ballet world for decades. Debra Austin was the first black ballerina to become a principal dancer in a major American dance company. She broke through the racial barrier, but her career was not without challenges.
Like & Follow WUNC
- Kushner 'discussed secret line to Moscow' - US media reports
- Afghanistan war: At least 13 dead in Khost bombing
- Chris Cornell: Friends and family at Soundgarden singer's funeral
- Palestinians in Israeli jails end 40-day hunger strike
- Egypt hits 'jihadist camps' after attack on Coptic Christians
- Trump foreign tour: G7 leaders turn attention to Africa