The Department of Homeland Security will proceed with an Obama Administration grant program to counter violent extremism, but UNC-Chapel Hill is among a handful of recipients that will be left out.
Updated at 6 p.m. ET June 23
Nevada Sen. Dean Heller on Friday became the latest GOP lawmaker to voice concerns about the Senate health care bill — a development that further complicates Republican efforts to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act. "I cannot support a piece of legislation that takes away insurance from tens of millions of Americans and hundreds of thousands of Nevadans," Heller said at a news conference back in Nevada. It was a stunning indictment of his own party...
In May 1862, Robert Smalls became a Union hero overnight when he stole a Confederate steamer from the Charleston harbor. Smalls had been enslaved his whole life and decided to free himself and his family by stealing the Planter and piloting it to the Union fleet outside Charleston, South Carolina.
Like & Follow WUNC
- Liu Xiaobo: Jailed Chinese dissident has terminal cancer
- Battle for Mosul: Iraq forces repel IS counter-attack
- Painter Salvador Dali's body to be exhumed for paternity suit
- Trump breaks White House Eid dinner tradition
- Colombia boat sinking: Six killed and 16 missing
- Takata: Airbag-maker files for bankruptcy