Most Active Stories
- Statue Of A Homeless Jesus Startles A Wealthy Community
- Do You Know This Chapel Hill Bus Driver? Man Wants To Say Thanks
- Witness To A Texas Execution: Part One
- Not Enough Doctors? How The Medical Education System Is Contributing To The Shortage
- Have We Been Overestimating Flood Risk On The Outer Banks?
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Tue June 11, 2013
WATCH: An Orca Steals A Fisherman's Catch
Originally published on Tue June 11, 2013 10:46 am
Both of those videos showed a shark swooping in and quickly stealing a fish caught on a line. Today, we bring you a more refined version of this genre.
On its Facebook page, an outdoors news site called The Alaska Life posted a video of an orca stealing a halibut from a fisherman's line. Unlike the sharks, the killer whale actually takes its time, surfacing a couple of times before scarfing down the fish. WARNING: There is an expletive at the beginning of the video:
GrindTv, which tipped us off to the video, says that it looks like the fishermen knew the orca was around. What isn't clear is whether they were "purposely trying to entice the orca with the hooked fish, as fishermen sometimes do with sharks."