Most Active Stories
- Minister Reflects On Decades As Elder In Methodist Church
- Two Teacher Training Programs, One Spot In The Budget
- Protesters Crowd Legislature For Fifth 'Moral Monday'
- After Innocence: Wrongfully Convicted Of Murder, Exonerated Days Before Execution Date
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Of NC Moving Out Of Iconic Chapel Hill Building
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Tue June 14, 2011
Wake Testing Choice Model
Wake County Parents are getting a chance to test drive one of the two proposed student assignment plans.
Just how the blue plan would work is largely unknown. It’s based on assigning students by choice, but without knowing how parents would choose, the plan is mostly theory. So starting last night, parents can go online and make school choices for elementary, middle and high school. They don’t count, but if enough parents participate, school officials will have a better idea on transportation and overcrowding issues. Superintendent Tony Tata hopes at least ten thousand parents will take part…
Tony Tata:" The more parents that can participate this week, the richer our information will be and the more precise we can be about any plan moving forward."
The trial simulation runs through June 20th. Tata hopes to recommend a final plan to the Board the next day.