Most Active Stories
- Four Concerts Scheduled In Expanded, Larger Back Porch Music Series In Durham
- Duke Professor Carries On Tradition Of Black Radical Poetry
- First Openly Lesbian Presbyterian Pastor, One Year In
- Why Do Political Activists Burn Out?
- As Costa Concordia Sank, Newlyweds Allowed Others To Take Life Boats First
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Tue March 1, 2011
Wake Tech Cracks Down on Smokers
Students at Wake Technical Community College will face serious consequences if they decide to smoke on campus. College administrators hope new regulations that go into effect today will compel students to comply with the school's tobacco-free policy. Wake Tech spokeswoman Laurie Clowers says the new level of enforcement involves strict disciplinary action.
"The third offense will result in a three-day suspension from classes. And after that if students refuse to cooperate or there are more than three offenses, they will be suspended for the remainder of the semester."
Clowers says administrators take the effects of tobacco use on public health and the environment seriously. Faculty and staff will face similar consequences if they smoke on campus. They will be referred to the director of Human Resources for further action. Visitors who are caught smoking will be asked to leave campus.