Most Active Stories
- North Carolina-Based Band Snags Notable 'Song Of The Year' Honors
- Charlotte, NC: Take A Virtual Ride On The World's Tallest, Fastest Giga Rollercoaster (Video)
- A Tree's Life: From The North Carolina Mountains To Your Living Room
- North Carolina To End Use Of Gas Chambers In Animal Shelters
- The Militarization Of North Carolina's Police
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Mon August 4, 2014
Two Men Indicted In Death Of UNC Professor
A grand jury in Orange County has indicted two men in the robbery and death of a UNC Chapel Hill professor.
Troy Arrington of Chapel Hill, and Derick Davis II of Durham are both charged with first-degree murder and armed robbery in the incident that led to Feng Liu's death.
The News and Observer reports that evidence is still being gathered in the case according to Orange County D. A. Jim Woodall.
Davis and Arrington are accused of hitting Liu over the head with a stone as he walked in Chapel Hill. The two men then took his wallet. Liu was soon found by a passerby who called 9-1-1 for help. The professor was taken to UNC Hospitals where he died a day later.
Liu was known in international medical circles for his work in cancer research at UNC's Eshelman School of Pharmacy for the last decade. He was remembered last week at a candlelight vigil and a memorial service on campus.