Most Active Stories
- Suspects In Mugging Death Of UNC Chapel Hill Professor Charged With Murder
- Carl Kasell Helps With Surprise Marriage Proposal
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- A Portrait Photographer Defies Social Norms
- Why Teacher Pay Matters Even If You Are Not a Teacher [Interactive Map]
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Thu September 20, 2012
Trustees Want Thorp To Stay
The resolution came out of a closed-door meeting of the Trustees last night. It describes the Board’s “unanimous” support for Thorp and “emphatically” requests that he reconsider his decision to resign.
Thorp announced that resignation on Monday, saying he believed it was in the best interests of the university and his family. Thorp was on the teleconference with the Trustees and has not indicated whether he will reconsider.
The UNC faculty issued a similar resolution on Tuesday. Students, faculty and staff will gather on Friday for a further public demonstration of support for Thorp.
During their meeting last night, the Trustees also announced that Julia Grumbles will take over fundraising efforts at Carolina on an interim basis.