Most Active Stories
- Duke Mathematicians Investigate 2012 Election Results In North Carolina
- Public Safety Officials: NC Prison Officers Are Getting More Threats From Prison Gangs
- Change Is In The Air For DENR, State Parks
- 'The Last Barn Dance:' Innovation At A North Carolina Dairy Farm
- Teen Author Explores An Alternate Reality
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Mon February 18, 2013
Thorp Moving From UNC To Washington University
Holden Thorp will serve as provost at Washington University in Saint Louis after he steps down as chancellor at UNC-Chapel Hill.
Thorp announced the move in a campus-wide e-mail Monday morning. Thorp had said he would stay at UNC to teach and conduct research in the chemistry department, but he says the new position will allow him to return to teaching and research while keeping administrative duties.
Thorp has been chancellor at UNC for five years. The school has been in the middle of a scandal for the last two years that started with improper benefits for football players and spread to academic fraud in the African and Afro-American Studies Department. Thorp will leave UNC at the end of the academic year and start the job as provost at Washington University on July 1.