Most Active Stories
- A Tree's Life: From The North Carolina Mountains To Your Living Room
- North Carolina To End Use Of Gas Chambers In Animal Shelters
- The Militarization Of North Carolina's Police
- North Carolina: Conservatives, Educators Debate Content Of AP U.S. History Class
- Panthers: Cam Newton Has Two Fractures In His Lower Back
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Mon February 18, 2013
Thorp Moving From UNC To Washington University
Holden Thorp will serve as provost at Washington University in Saint Louis after he steps down as chancellor at UNC-Chapel Hill.
Thorp announced the move in a campus-wide e-mail Monday morning. Thorp had said he would stay at UNC to teach and conduct research in the chemistry department, but he says the new position will allow him to return to teaching and research while keeping administrative duties.
Thorp has been chancellor at UNC for five years. The school has been in the middle of a scandal for the last two years that started with improper benefits for football players and spread to academic fraud in the African and Afro-American Studies Department. Thorp will leave UNC at the end of the academic year and start the job as provost at Washington University on July 1.