Most Active Stories
- Carl Kasell Announces Retirement: Here Are 3 Things You Might Not Know About Him
- The Duke Porn Star: Three Waves Of Internet Shaming
- Durham-Chapel Hill Light Rail Project: Where Those Rails Might Go
- 'High School Is Not Easy. It's Not'
- NC County Will Trade Vintage Bonnie And Clyde Style Machine Guns For New Weapons
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Politics & Government
Wed July 18, 2012
Tedesco Advances in DPI Race
John Tedesco won the republican primary run-off for Superintendent of Public Instruction by beating Richard Alexander.
Jeff Tiberii: Tedesco earned more than 54-percent of the vote. He is a conservative member of the Wake County school board best known for crafting a controversial student assignment plan. Tedesco and other Republicans replaced the district's diversity-based system with a school choice plan in 2009. He has said he plans to cut the DPI budget in an effort to give more money and control to local districts. Tedesco will face Democratic Superintendent June Atkinson in the November election.