Most Active Stories
- Minister Reflects On Decades As Elder In Methodist Church
- Two Teacher Training Programs, One Spot In The Budget
- Protesters Crowd Legislature For Fifth 'Moral Monday'
- After Innocence: Wrongfully Convicted Of Murder, Exonerated Days Before Execution Date
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Of NC Moving Out Of Iconic Chapel Hill Building
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Politics & Government
Wed July 18, 2012
Tedesco Advances in DPI Race
John Tedesco won the republican primary run-off for Superintendent of Public Instruction by beating Richard Alexander.
Jeff Tiberii: Tedesco earned more than 54-percent of the vote. He is a conservative member of the Wake County school board best known for crafting a controversial student assignment plan. Tedesco and other Republicans replaced the district's diversity-based system with a school choice plan in 2009. He has said he plans to cut the DPI budget in an effort to give more money and control to local districts. Tedesco will face Democratic Superintendent June Atkinson in the November election.