Most Active Stories
- Political Flyer With Photo Of Lynching Distributed At North Carolina Church
- 'Masses' Of Sharks Near Shore On Carolina Coast
- Photos Of Same-Sex Marriage Celebrations Around North Carolina
- McCrory Says He'll Uphold Gay North Carolinians' Right To Marry
- Academic Fraud At UNC: 'University Personnel Were Aware Of Red Flags'
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Business & Economy
Fri September 21, 2012
State Unemployment Rate Rises Slightly
The state Commerce Department says North Carolina's unemployment rate has risen slightly. The state's unemployment rate went up to 9-point-7 percent in August. Analysts say that translates to nearly six thousand more people reported as being out of work. That brings the total number of unemployed in North Carolina to more than 450,000.
The state Commerce Department said this marks the second consecutive month North Carolina's unemployment rate has risen. The national unemployment rate was 8-point-1 percent in August. The Division of Employment Security says -- even with the slight increase -- the jobs picture has shown improvement over the past year. Nearly 41-thousand more people have found jobs. The division also reports that there are 47-thousand fewer North Carolinians unemployed than last year at this time.