Most Active Stories
- Four Concerts Scheduled In Expanded, Larger Back Porch Music Series In Durham
- Duke Professor Carries On Tradition Of Black Radical Poetry
- First Openly Lesbian Presbyterian Pastor, One Year In
- As Costa Concordia Sank, Newlyweds Allowed Others To Take Life Boats First
- Why Do Political Activists Burn Out?
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Thu November 1, 2012
Search Continues For Missing Tall Ship Captain
The Coast Guard is continuing its search for the missing captain of the tall ship that sank off North Carolina's coast. The replica ship HMS Bounty went down in wind and waves stirred up by Hurricane Sandy. 63-year-old Robin Walbridge has not been seen since Monday. Searchers rescued 14 of the ship's crew. One crew member died. Petty Officer Brandyn Hill is a Coast Guard spokesman. He says they look at several factors before opting to continue a search.
Brandyn Hill: One thing is the member's fitness, the on-scene weather conditions..his survival equipment. And one thing that's very important in this case is the fact that he was reported to have been wearing a survival suit which greatly increases his chances of survival.
The Coast Guard is searching an area of about 12-hundred square nautical miles. Commanders will decide late today if the effort to find Walbridge will continue tomorrow.