Most Active Stories
- A Tree's Life: From The North Carolina Mountains To Your Living Room
- North Carolina To End Use Of Gas Chambers In Animal Shelters
- The Militarization Of North Carolina's Police
- North Carolina: Conservatives, Educators Debate Content Of AP U.S. History Class
- Panthers: Cam Newton Has Two Fractures In His Lower Back
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
The State of Things
Thu November 14, 2013
Scientist Discovers Alternative Use For Hog Waste
The struggle over hog waste lagoons in North Carolina is decades long. Historically, the lagoons have caused several fish kills and contaminated the public water supply.
A 2007 law restricted the construction of new lagoons and the expansion of existing lagoons. The law also tasked North Carolina scientists with finding alternative uses for hog waste. Host Frank Stasio talks with Larry Cahoon, professor of biological oceanography and limnology at the University or North Carolina at Wilmington.