Most Active Stories
- Why Teacher Pay Matters Even If You Are Not a Teacher [Interactive Map]
- Sixth-Grader's Science Fair Finding Shocks Ecologists
- NC Archaeologist Has Find-Of-A-Lifetime, 3 Years In A Row
- Carl Kasell Helps With Surprise Marriage Proposal
- Police In NC Could Start Tracking License Plates On State Highways
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
The State of Things
Fri June 20, 2014
A Riches To Rags Story
"Big Edie" and "Little Edie" Beale, a mother and daughter pair related to Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, were once part of Hamptons high society.
The women later became estranged from their family and fell into squalor. A Broadway musical based on Grey Gardens, the 1975 documentary about their lives, is on stage in Raleigh. The show, presented by The Justice Theater Project, combines a fictional imagining of the younger lives of the Beales with scenes and songs based on their real lives and dialogue.
Host Frank Stasio talks to Melissa Zeph; managing director of The Justice Theater Project and actors Jess Barbour and Jeri Lynn Schulke.
Here's a trailer for the musical: