Most Active Stories
- NC State Student Uncovered Neck Bone Of Biggest Dinosaur Ever
- NC Photographer Uses Pinup Photos As A Way For Women To Appreciate Their Bodies
- LISTEN: ‘Thirsty’ Might Not Mean What You Think It Does
- 'Breathtaking' Images Discovered Of A 1950s Shoeshine Competition In North Carolina
- Duke University Application Adds Question About Sexual Orientation And Gender Identity
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Politics & Government
Fri August 12, 2011
Reuben Young Heads New Department of Public Safety
Governor Perdue has appointed the head of the new, restructured Department of Public Safety.
For the last two and a half years, Reuben Young has led North Carolina's former Department of Crime Control and Public Safety. And he'll head a restructured version of the department that will merge crime control, correction, and juvenile justice. The governor issued an executive order earlier this year to cut costs by combining a number of departments. This particular merger will result in the elimination of 34 executive-level positions. Young has been a fixture of the Raleigh political scene for years. He was a legal advisor to former Governor Mike Easley for eight years. Before that he worked with Easley in the attorney general's office. Reuben Young's salary will remain the same.