Most Active Stories
- Four Concerts Scheduled In Expanded, Larger Back Porch Music Series In Durham
- Duke Professor Carries On Tradition Of Black Radical Poetry
- Why Legislators Are Changing State Environmental Policy
- The Complex Identities Of Some Of America's Most Famous Black Men
- First Openly Lesbian Presbyterian Pastor, One Year In
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Politics & Government
Fri August 12, 2011
Reuben Young Heads New Department of Public Safety
Governor Perdue has appointed the head of the new, restructured Department of Public Safety.
For the last two and a half years, Reuben Young has led North Carolina's former Department of Crime Control and Public Safety. And he'll head a restructured version of the department that will merge crime control, correction, and juvenile justice. The governor issued an executive order earlier this year to cut costs by combining a number of departments. This particular merger will result in the elimination of 34 executive-level positions. Young has been a fixture of the Raleigh political scene for years. He was a legal advisor to former Governor Mike Easley for eight years. Before that he worked with Easley in the attorney general's office. Reuben Young's salary will remain the same.