Most Active Stories
- Four Concerts Scheduled In Expanded, Larger Back Porch Music Series In Durham
- Duke Professor Carries On Tradition Of Black Radical Poetry
- Why Do Political Activists Burn Out?
- First Openly Lesbian Presbyterian Pastor, One Year In
- As Costa Concordia Sank, Newlyweds Allowed Others To Take Life Boats First
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
The State of Things
Tue March 22, 2011
A Renaissance Man For The Modern Age
Leon Botstein is on a mission to make Americans think more. As president of Bard College in New York's Hudson Valley, he pushes science education as well as arts and humanities. This may surprise classical music fans who know him best as the music director and conductor of the American Symphony Orchestra. But Botstein clings to a classical view of academics, insisting that knowing something about everything is the best way to create an informed citizenry.