Most Active Stories
- A Tree's Life: From The North Carolina Mountains To Your Living Room
- North Carolina To End Use Of Gas Chambers In Animal Shelters
- The Militarization Of North Carolina's Police
- North Carolina: Conservatives, Educators Debate Content Of AP U.S. History Class
- Panthers: Cam Newton Has Two Fractures In His Lower Back
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
The State of Things
Tue November 26, 2013
The Rebirth Of The North Carolina Textile Industry
For decades, the textile industry was an essential part of North Carolina’ economy. But the industry took a huge hit in the early 2000s due to outsourcing and high rates of automation.
Today textile businesses in the state are innovating and producing novel types of textiles. Host Frank Stasio talks with A. Blanton Godfrey, dean of the College of Textiles at North Carolina State University; and Robert Newton, director of the documentary, Still Standing: The Real Story of the NC Textile Industry. This is the first in the series, The State of Industries in North Carolina.