Most Active Stories
- North Carolina-Based Band Snags Notable 'Song Of The Year' Honors
- NORAD's Santa Tracker Began With A Typo And A Good Sport
- A North Carolina Pie That Elicits An 'Oh My God' Response
- The “Lost” Recordings of an Overlooked Banjo Great
- Dozens Say NC's Proposed Rules For Abortion Clinics Are OK, But A Few Disagree
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Fri October 11, 2013
Purple Heart Memorial Dedicated At Camp Lejeune
Camp Lejeune now has a memorial for military service members wounded in the line of duty. A Purple Heart memorial was given an official dedication Friday.
Captain Ryan Powell is from the Wounded Warrior Battalion Regiment at Quantico, Virginia. He says the memorial is being located near the Wounded Warrior Battalion-East headquarters which provides non-medical care for injured Marines on base. That includes a recovery protocol that also treats the mind, body and spirit...
"Medicine itself just takes something out of you," Powell says. "If you get shot, they take the bullet out and they sew it up. If you're sick, they take the infection out..but you're not instantly better. Recovery is a long term process. You don't just recover at a medical facility. There's a holistic aspect to it."
The memorial was donated by the Beirut Memorial Chapter 642, Military Order of the Purple Heart - in Jacksonville.