Most Active Stories
- Four Concerts Scheduled In Expanded, Larger Back Porch Music Series In Durham
- Duke Professor Carries On Tradition Of Black Radical Poetry
- Why Legislators Are Changing State Environmental Policy
- The Complex Identities Of Some Of America's Most Famous Black Men
- First Openly Lesbian Presbyterian Pastor, One Year In
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Politics & Government
Sat December 11, 2010
Protest And 'Line of Love' At Edwards Memorial
The wife of former presidential candidate John Edwards is being laid to rest today. Hundreds of supporters and some protestors have vowed to gather outside the service.
Elizabeth Edwards is being remembered as a mother, wife author and role model for many across the country. It’s her celebrity that is drawing a radical, anti gay protest from Kansas to Raleigh. George Reed is the executive director of the North Carolina Council of Churches. He says hundreds of people have joined the council in denouncing Westboro Baptist Church.
"It’s clearly given a voice to people of faith who are offended by these folks that are coming in and just need a way to say that."
In honor of Edwards – people are expected to try to block protestors today with a “Line of Love” around Edenton Street United Methodist Church.