Most Active Stories
- A Tree's Life: From The North Carolina Mountains To Your Living Room
- North Carolina To End Use Of Gas Chambers In Animal Shelters
- The Militarization Of North Carolina's Police
- North Carolina: Conservatives, Educators Debate Content Of AP U.S. History Class
- Panthers: Cam Newton Has Two Fractures In His Lower Back
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Politics & Government
Wed October 30, 2013
Professor Seeking Office Suspended (With Pay)
A professor at North Carolina A&T State University has been suspended with pay. Jamal Fox is a 25 year old political science instructor seeking public office for the first time.
On Tuesday the school suspended him indefinitely while it investigates his city council candidacy. It’s unclear if the potential violation is procedural, in that Fox didn’t notify the school of his campaign in a proper or timely manner; or if the suspension is due to an ethical violation. The incumbent he’s trying to oust from office has accused Fox of offering better grades to students in exchange for votes.
The state’s group of Young Democrats has pushed back against Jim Kee for those claims, which they say have no merit. A spokesperson from A&T says the school is looking at whether ethical or procedural rules might have been broken. Both men are Democrats although the city council races in Greensboro are non-partisan. Calls to Fox and Kee were not returned.