Most Active Stories
- A Tree's Life: From The North Carolina Mountains To Your Living Room
- North Carolina To End Use Of Gas Chambers In Animal Shelters
- The Militarization Of North Carolina's Police
- North Carolina: Conservatives, Educators Debate Content Of AP U.S. History Class
- Panthers: Cam Newton Has Two Fractures In His Lower Back
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Politics & Government
Mon June 13, 2011
President Calls for Engineer Training in Triangle Visit
Business and political leaders gathered in Durham this afternoon for a visit by Barack Obama. He spoke at CREE manufacturing, a company that specializes in L-E-D lighting. Mr Obama announced a plan to train 10 Thousand new American engineers every year. The president's Jobs and Competitiveness Council took tours and met with business leaders earlier today. According to North Carolina Senator Kay Hagan, the president's plan is a step in the right direction.
Kay Hagan: "It's all about jobs, jobs, jobs. He's got his competitiveness council to meet here in RTP today talking to him giving him advice about what we can do on the federal level to spur this economy to create jobs."
The President also called for better coordination between employees and community colleges, and streamlining the permitting process.
Business & Economy