Most Active Stories
- Statue Of A Homeless Jesus Startles A Wealthy Community
- Do You Know This Chapel Hill Bus Driver? Man Wants To Say Thanks
- Witness To A Texas Execution: Part One
- Not Enough Doctors? How The Medical Education System Is Contributing To The Shortage
- Have We Been Overestimating Flood Risk On The Outer Banks?
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Wed January 29, 2014
NC Teacher Of The Year Attends State Of Union, Has Unexpected Highlight
Karyn Dickerson had a night most teachers dream of. She'd been invited to the State of the Union address in Washington.
Dickerson had a dinner with the senators, had a great view of President Obama. He even led off the night talking about teachers:
Mr. Speaker, Mr. Vice President, Members of Congress, my fellow Americans:
Today in America, a teacher spent extra time with a student who needed it, and did her part to lift America's graduation rate to its highest level in more than three decades....
But the highlight of the night?
"I did not go to any after party. I went outside in the beautiful night. I walked past the Capitol and met my husband outside in the snow. And we reflected as we walked. [The evening] reinforced the fact that we as educators need to continue reaching out, to have a dialogue, that’s what we need.”
Karyn Dickerson is a high school English teacher at Grimsley High School in Guilford County
Business & Economy