Most Active Stories
- A Tree's Life: From The North Carolina Mountains To Your Living Room
- North Carolina To End Use Of Gas Chambers In Animal Shelters
- The Militarization Of North Carolina's Police
- North Carolina: Conservatives, Educators Debate Content Of AP U.S. History Class
- Panthers: Cam Newton Has Two Fractures In His Lower Back
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
The State of Things
Thu February 13, 2014
Movies That Traumatized You As A Kid
For many moviegoers, mention of the classic film The Wizard of Oz conjures up images of Dorothy and her little dog Toto skipping along the yellow brick road. She frolicked with her newfound friends and sang happily of her travel towards the Emerald City.
But one scene diverted from the fun-fillled theme and at the instruction of the Wicked Witch, those flying monkeys descended on Dorothy and her pals. It was the stuff of nightmares. The evil witch and her posse of monkeys are just one example of the movie characters that terrified viewers in childhood.
North Carolina State film professor Marsha Gordon and North Carolina Museum of Art film curator Laura Boyes return to The State of Things to talk with host Frank Stasio about those movies that traumatized.
But first, we want to hear from you. What movie traumatized you as a child?