Most Active Stories
- Four Concerts Scheduled In Expanded, Larger Back Porch Music Series In Durham
- Duke Professor Carries On Tradition Of Black Radical Poetry
- Why Do Political Activists Burn Out?
- First Openly Lesbian Presbyterian Pastor, One Year In
- As Costa Concordia Sank, Newlyweds Allowed Others To Take Life Boats First
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
State of Things
Mon December 3, 2012
Meet Michael Gillespie
Michael Gillespie never set out to be an intellectual. He wanted to play professional football and went to Harvard to begin his athletic career. But illness struck and he was forced to lose 60 pounds. His football career over, Gillespie began searching for a new course in life. Philosophy seemed to be the answer. Host Frank Stasio talks to Michael Gillespie, professor of political science and director of the Gerst Program in Political, Economic and Humanistic studies at Duke University and the Duke Program in American Values and Institutions.