Most Active Stories
- Minister Reflects On Decades As Elder In Methodist Church
- Two Teacher Training Programs, One Spot In The Budget
- Protesters Crowd Legislature For Fifth 'Moral Monday'
- After Innocence: Wrongfully Convicted Of Murder, Exonerated Days Before Execution Date
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Of NC Moving Out Of Iconic Chapel Hill Building
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
The State of Things
Mon March 28, 2011
Meet Jeff Polish
Jeff Polish had a lonely childhood. He moved around a lot and had to dodge his mother's overbearing anger. Jeff learned early to say little and have an active inner life. When he left home for college, Jeff discovered that friends came easily when he told stories. The inner narratives he had been constructing for years paid off socially. He went on to earn a PhD in genetics and has happily taught high school for years.
Still, storytelling remained his passion so when he and his wife Allison moved to Chapel Hill, North Carolina to be closer to her family, Jeff set about making storytelling his life. He started a project called The Monti, an evening of true stories told without notes in front of a room full of strangers. It's a huge hit all over the Triangle and in Greensboro.