Most Active Stories
- A Tree's Life: From The North Carolina Mountains To Your Living Room
- North Carolina To End Use Of Gas Chambers In Animal Shelters
- The Militarization Of North Carolina's Police
- North Carolina: Conservatives, Educators Debate Content Of AP U.S. History Class
- Panthers: Cam Newton Has Two Fractures In His Lower Back
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Politics & Government
Mon February 18, 2013
McCrory's First State Of The State Address Is Tonight
Governor Pat McCrory will lay out his vision for North Carolina in his State of the State speech this evening. It will be the governor's first opportunity to tell North Carolinians how he plans to govern the state.
In his inaugural address, Governor McCrory said he'd like to overhaul state government and North Carolina's educational system, but he hasn't filled in the details. He's expected to tick through a number of topics, from education to off-shore energy exploration. And he's sure to have a big audience.
The governor made national waves when he made light of UNC-Chapel Hill's educational offerings on a national radio show only a few weeks after taking office. He's since said he is a supporter of a liberal arts education. But he's also emphasized the need to better prepare high school and college graduates for good careers. Governor McCrory will deliver his speech before a joint session of the General Assembly.
The speech is scheduled for 7 p.m, and will be broadcast on WUNC.