Most Active Stories
- Minister Reflects On Decades As Elder In Methodist Church
- Two Teacher Training Programs, One Spot In The Budget
- Protesters Crowd Legislature For Fifth 'Moral Monday'
- After Innocence: Wrongfully Convicted Of Murder, Exonerated Days Before Execution Date
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Of NC Moving Out Of Iconic Chapel Hill Building
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Wed March 28, 2012
McCrory Lays Out Education Plans
Republican Gubernatorial candidate Pat McCrory laid out his education platform today. As Dave DeWitt reports, the former mayor of Charlotte is in favor of expanding school choice and teacher merit pay, among other things.
Dave DeWitt: McCrory was careful not to wade into the current debate between Governor Bev Perdue and the Republican led Legislature over school funding. He refused to say if schools were adequately funded under the current budget, but instead offered outlines of new programs that he said may save money.
Those programs ranged from making the approval process for new charter schools easier to paying the best teachers more.
Pat McCrory: North Carolina is blessed with many outstanding teachers who should be rewarded for the impact that they have on individual lives and our young people.
McCrory is currently the Republican frontrunner for governor. He also leads in polls when compared to potential Democratic challengers.