Most Active Stories
- North Carolina-Based Band Snags Notable 'Song Of The Year' Honors
- Charlotte, NC: Take A Virtual Ride On The World's Tallest, Fastest Giga Rollercoaster (Video)
- A Tree's Life: From The North Carolina Mountains To Your Living Room
- North Carolina To End Use Of Gas Chambers In Animal Shelters
- The Militarization Of North Carolina's Police
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
The State of Things
Wed November 20, 2013
The Lives Of Transgender Immigrants
Today is transgender day of remembrance, a day designated to remembering transgender people who have lost their lives to violence this past year.
Transgender people in the United States experience high rates of violent persecution because of their gender expression. Immigrants face especially difficult circumstances in ICE facilities like sexual abuse and the threat of deportation. Ironically, many are immigrants who have come to the United States to escape the same sorts of persecution in their native countries. Olga Tomchin is a justice fellow at the Transgender Law Center in Oakland, California. She talks with Host Frank Stasio about the struggles of transgender immigrants in the states.