Most Active Stories
- North Carolina-Based Band Snags Notable 'Song Of The Year' Honors
- Charlotte, NC: Take A Virtual Ride On The World's Tallest, Fastest Giga Rollercoaster (Video)
- A Tree's Life: From The North Carolina Mountains To Your Living Room
- North Carolina To End Use Of Gas Chambers In Animal Shelters
- The Militarization Of North Carolina's Police
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
The State of Things
Thu July 31, 2014
Life After Hormones And Blood Sugar Go Beserk
Tim Anderson grew up in north Raleigh as a gay, sugar-obsessed teenager.
At age 15, a month after he started to acknowledge his sexuality, he was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. His new memoir Sweet Tooth (Lake Union Publishing/2014) interweaves stories about coming of age and coming out; it uses humor and post-punk music references to portray his reluctant struggle to maintain control over his diabetes diagnosis.
Guest host Phoebe Judge talks to Anderson about his life and writing.