Most Active Stories
- Carl Kasell Announces Retirement: Here Are 3 Things You Might Not Know About Him
- The Duke Porn Star: Three Waves Of Internet Shaming
- Durham-Chapel Hill Light Rail Project: Where Those Rails Might Go
- 'High School Is Not Easy. It's Not'
- NC County Will Trade Vintage Bonnie And Clyde Style Machine Guns For New Weapons
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Fri September 28, 2012
Johnston County Man Convicted In Plot To Kill Sheriff
A Johnston County Ku Klux Klan leader was convicted this week in a plot to kill the sheriff of his county. Gurnal Scott reports.
Charles Barefoot faces up to 51 years in prison. Jury members said evidence showed Barefoot conspired to blow up Johnston County Sheriff Steve Bizzell. They convicted Barefoot on six felony counts including receipt of explosives with intent to kill and possession of stolen guns. Prosecutors argued Barefoot was angry at the sheriff over the closing of a nightclub he owned. They said Barefoot was also upset at Bizzell for not letting Klan members march in a parade in Benson. Witnesses testified that Barefoot wanted to get back at Bizzell by planting a homemade bomb at the Sheriff's office. The office is located near the bank of the Neuse River. Witnesses say Barefoot planned to boat there at night and leave the explosive. He is scheduled to be sentenced in December.