Most Active Stories
- Minister Reflects On Decades As Elder In Methodist Church
- Two Teacher Training Programs, One Spot In The Budget
- Protesters Crowd Legislature For Fifth 'Moral Monday'
- After Innocence: Wrongfully Convicted Of Murder, Exonerated Days Before Execution Date
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Of NC Moving Out Of Iconic Chapel Hill Building
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
State of Things
Fri September 23, 2011
Joan Soriano's musical career began in the rural Dominican countryside when he made an instrument with a tin can and fishing line. Soon after, he and some of his 15 siblings formed a bachata band, a type of Dominican music they'd been hearing on the radio for years. Soriano left his family at age 13 to pursue a career in music and was eventually christened “The Duke of Bachata.” Today, he continues to perform with his family, traveling internationally to spread bachata to the world.