Most Active Stories
- Statue Of A Homeless Jesus Startles A Wealthy Community
- 'Alarming' Number Of Teachers Resigning In Wake County
- Do You Know This Chapel Hill Bus Driver? Man Wants To Say Thanks
- UNC’s New Grading System Could Show What That ‘A’ Is Really Worth
- Not Enough Doctors? How The Medical Education System Is Contributing To The Shortage
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Around the Nation
Wed January 8, 2014
It's So Cold That Hell Freezes Over
Originally published on Wed January 8, 2014 7:12 am
RENEE MONTAGNE, HOST:
Good morning, I'm Renee Montagne.
Making headlines this week is the polar vortex. And we can report that Hell has frozen over. That would be Hell, Michigan where temperatures fell to minus 13 degrees and even colder with the wind-chill. There are conflicting histories as to how the tiny town got its name, probably from the German word for bright - not because it resembles a fiery underworld. Hell, Michigan is due to warm up today to a balmy high of 16 degrees.
It's MORNING EDITION. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.