Most Active Stories
- Four Concerts Scheduled In Expanded, Larger Back Porch Music Series In Durham
- Duke Professor Carries On Tradition Of Black Radical Poetry
- First Openly Lesbian Presbyterian Pastor, One Year In
- Why Legislators Are Changing State Environmental Policy
- As Costa Concordia Sank, Newlyweds Allowed Others To Take Life Boats First
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
State of Things
Tue July 12, 2011
Honing in on Highway Safety
A fiery tractor trailer crash on I-40 claimed three lives earlier this month and the trucking company involved had numerous safety violations. The accident was one of the latest in a recent rash of deadly highway crashes involving big rigs. Other major accidents in recent months involved budget bus lines that also that have long lists of citations for, among other things, driver fatigue.
Host Frank Stasio talks about the government crackdown on budget buses and the trucking industry with Jim O'Grady, a reporter for New York Public Radio-WNYC and a contributor to Transportation Nation, and Charlie Gray, owner of the Carolina Trucking Academy in Raleigh. University of North Carolina baseball coach Mike Fox also joins the program to remember Lorenzo Charles, who became a college basketball legend at North Carolina State University with his championship-clinching dunk in 1983. His career in more recent years was as a bus driver for sports teams like Fox’s. Charles died on June 28th when the bus he was driving veered off I-40.