Most Active Stories
- Why Teacher Pay Matters Even If You Are Not a Teacher [Interactive Map]
- Carl Kasell Helps With Surprise Marriage Proposal
- Suspects In Mugging Death Of UNC Chapel Hill Professor Charged With Murder
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- NC Archaeologist Has Find-Of-A-Lifetime, 3 Years In A Row
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
The State of Things
Wed March 26, 2014
Hip Hop Music In The Classroom
A new documentary, “Hip Hop Fellow,” follows 9th’s teaching experiences during his fellowship at Harvard University. The film premiers at the Full Frame Documentary Film Festival in Durham next weekend.
Today on The State of Things, hip-hop experts raised questions about what defines a standard album and what's the significance of hip hop's frequent sampling of the works of jazz, soul and blues artists? Douthit walks listeners through the connection between Ahmad Jamal's "I Love Music" and Nas' "The World is Yours" from the classic album Illmatic.
Here's the trailer for the film:
State of Things