Most Active Stories
- Suspects In Mugging Death Of UNC Chapel Hill Professor Charged With Murder
- Carl Kasell Helps With Surprise Marriage Proposal
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- A Portrait Photographer Defies Social Norms
- National Geographic Report, 'Rising Seas: Will The Outer Banks Survive?'
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Politics & Government
Tue May 22, 2012
Governor Creates Fracking Task Force
Governor Bev Perdue has issued an executive order creating a task force to develop regulation for the controversial natural gas drilling practice known as fracking.
Jessica Jones: The order comes as lawmakers are expected to begin debate soon on allowing shale gas exploration. Republican Senator Robert Rucho is sponsoring a measure that would allow the practice to begin by 2014. The governor's order creates a working group led by the state Division of Energy and the Department of Environment and Natural Resources. It would form standards and make regulatory recommendations to oversee the process of drilling for natural gas in the state. The governor says fracking can be part of a larger energy solution as long as it's done safely. But she says a robust set of rules must be developed before the practice can begin. Republican lawmakers say they approve of the governor's effort to create a regulatory framework. Legislators will ultimately decide whether and how the practice will begin in the state.