Most Active Stories
- A Tree's Life: From The North Carolina Mountains To Your Living Room
- North Carolina To End Use Of Gas Chambers In Animal Shelters
- The Militarization Of North Carolina's Police
- North Carolina: Conservatives, Educators Debate Content Of AP U.S. History Class
- Panthers: Cam Newton Has Two Fractures In His Lower Back
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
The State of Things
Tue July 1, 2014
A Fictional Trilogy Explores Nature's Secrets
He awoke before determining where they were coming from, but the dream provided material for a set of three novels called The Southern Reach Trilogy. The works explore “Area X,” a mysterious zone of isolated wilderness closed off to the public for years. Using fantasy, horror, and weird fiction, VanderMeer’s novels explore the irrationality of human beings and human organizations.
VanderMeer will be reading from his series at Quail Ridge Books in Raleigh on Thursday, July 10 at 7:30 p.m. and at Malaprops in Asheville on Saturday, July 12 at 7 p.m. Host Frank Stasio talks to VanderMeer about the latest book in the series, Authority (FSG Originals/2014), which examines the secret agency responsible for monitoring Area X.