Most Active Stories
- Why Teacher Pay Matters Even If You Are Not a Teacher [Interactive Map]
- Carl Kasell Helps With Surprise Marriage Proposal
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- Suspects In Mugging Death Of UNC Chapel Hill Professor Charged With Murder
- NC Archaeologist Has Find-Of-A-Lifetime, 3 Years In A Row
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
The State Of Things
Mon March 17, 2014
Farm Provides Therapy For People With Mental Illness And Developmental Disabilities
The Farm at Penny Lane is a 40-acre plot of land tucked away in north Pittsboro, North Carolina. But this is no conventional farming operation; it is operated by volunteers and people with mental illness and developmental disabilities.
Thava Mahadevan is the founder of The Farm at Penny Lane, director of operations at the Center for Excellence in Community Mental Health at the UNC School of Medicine, and executive director of XDS, a nonprofit that provides care to individuals with mental illness and developmental disabilities. Host Frank Stasio talks with Mahadevan about his life and work.