Most Active Stories
- Minister Reflects On Decades As Elder In Methodist Church
- Two Teacher Training Programs, One Spot In The Budget
- Protesters Crowd Legislature For Fifth 'Moral Monday'
- After Innocence: Wrongfully Convicted Of Murder, Exonerated Days Before Execution Date
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Of NC Moving Out Of Iconic Chapel Hill Building
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Politics & Government
Wed May 16, 2012
Edwards Defense Could Rest Soon
Today could mark the final day of testimony in the John Edwards trial.
Jeff Tiberii: Defense attorney’s have indicated that they could call Cate Edwards to the stand today. It’s also possible that Rielle Hunter or John Edwards will testify. But according to law experts there also is a potential that the defense will choose to rest its case instead of calling any of those three. The prosecution called 24 witnesses during 14 days of testimony. Today marks just the third day of witnesses for Edwards defense team. On Tuesday a former FEC chairman told the jury he had never considered a third party payment to another 3rd party to constitute a campaign finance violation. The defense contends that payments of hundreds of thousands of dollars from two wealthy donors that ended up with a former campaign aide are just that, third party payments. Edwards is charged with six counts of campaign finance violations and faces up to 30 years in prison if convicted.