Most Active Stories
- Four Concerts Scheduled In Expanded, Larger Back Porch Music Series In Durham
- Duke Professor Carries On Tradition Of Black Radical Poetry
- Why Do Political Activists Burn Out?
- First Openly Lesbian Presbyterian Pastor, One Year In
- As Costa Concordia Sank, Newlyweds Allowed Others To Take Life Boats First
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Fri August 12, 2011
Eagles Soar Into D1
The five-year wait is now over, and North Carolina Central is officially a member of the NCAA’s Division I.
The NC Central Board of Trustees voted back in 2005 to move from division 2 to division one. The move was somewhat controversial, as it meant the Eagles would no longer play in the popular CIAA basketball tournament.
The Eagles then played as an independent with no conference affiliation. Last year, NC Central was a provisional member of the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference.
Now, the school’s 14 sports can participate fully in Division one and compete for championships. Football will play in the championship subdivision. NC Central’s first game as a full member of division one will be a volleyball match later this month.