Most Active Stories
- Statue Of A Homeless Jesus Startles A Wealthy Community
- 'Alarming' Number Of Teachers Resigning In Wake County
- UNC’s New Grading System Could Show What That ‘A’ Is Really Worth
- Not Enough Doctors? How The Medical Education System Is Contributing To The Shortage
- 'Completely Unique': Cave-Dwelling Female Insects Have Penises
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Mon June 24, 2013
Duke Trustee Donates $5.5 Million For Energy Initiative
Duke University trustee Ralph Eads and his wife are giving $5.5 million dollars to the school, most of it going to support Duke's Energy Initiative. Part of it will go toward the creation of the new Eads Professor of the Practice in Energy Finance.
David Doctor, director of engagement and administration at the Duke Energy Initiative, says the project money will give students of all levels the opportunity to pursue problem-focused educational pathways with faculty and outside experts.
"The Eads gift will allow the University to engage businesses and policymakers in sharing the energy research results and in convening workshops and various other meetings to focus on leading-edge issues in energy," Doctor says.
The gift will also support energy internships and student mentoring. Ralph Eads graduated from Duke in 1981.