Most Active Stories
- A Tree's Life: From The North Carolina Mountains To Your Living Room
- North Carolina To End Use Of Gas Chambers In Animal Shelters
- The Militarization Of North Carolina's Police
- North Carolina: Conservatives, Educators Debate Content Of AP U.S. History Class
- Panthers: Cam Newton Has Two Fractures In His Lower Back
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Tue May 28, 2013
Duke Men's Lacrosse Team Seizes 2nd National Title
The Duke men's lacrosse team overcame an early deficit to beat Syracuse 16-10 for its second national title. The Blue Devils began Monday's game by missing their first 11 shots on goal. That allowed the Orange to race out to a 5-nothing lead into the second quarter.
Duke head coach John Danowski said he felt the pressure of the game was a factor.
“I think the big stage, the big event got to us us a little bit,” he said. “I think the guys were a little tight, a little nervous. But I think at halftime getting it back to 6-5 helped everybody settle down at halftime and then just continue to play the game.”
Coming in to the title game, Duke had only beaten Syracuse in three of nine total meetings. With the win, the Blue Devils have beaten the Orange three straight times. The next time these teams meet in lacrosse, it will be an ACC game as Syracuse joins the conference next season.
Here are some highlights from the game: