Most Active Stories
- Four Concerts Scheduled In Expanded, Larger Back Porch Music Series In Durham
- Duke Professor Carries On Tradition Of Black Radical Poetry
- Why Do Political Activists Burn Out?
- First Openly Lesbian Presbyterian Pastor, One Year In
- As Costa Concordia Sank, Newlyweds Allowed Others To Take Life Boats First
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Thu July 26, 2012
Duke Chapel Names New Dean
There's a new Dean of the Duke University Chapel. The Reverend Doctor Luke Powery is the first African-American to hold the position.
Dave DeWitt: Powery comes from the Princeton Theological Seminary, where he was an assistant professor. He replaces Samuel Wells, who left Duke Chapel to return to England.
Powery was one of several who gave guest sermons at Duke Chapel in recent months. The one he delivered in June was called "Why Are You Afraid?"
Rev. Luke Powery: I wish Jesus was my preaching professor at Seminary. He has a way for integrating his walk and his talk. He does what he says. His work takes on flesh because he is the word made flesh.
Powery was ordained by the Progressive National Baptist Convention. Duke University is historically related to the Methodist Church, but services at the Chapel are ecumenical. Powery's first official day as Dean will be September 1.