Most Active Stories
- Why Teacher Pay Matters Even If You Are Not a Teacher [Interactive Map]
- Sixth-Grader's Science Fair Finding Shocks Ecologists
- NC Archaeologist Has Find-Of-A-Lifetime, 3 Years In A Row
- Carl Kasell Helps With Surprise Marriage Proposal
- Police In NC Could Start Tracking License Plates On State Highways
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Thu July 26, 2012
Duke Chapel Names New Dean
There's a new Dean of the Duke University Chapel. The Reverend Doctor Luke Powery is the first African-American to hold the position.
Dave DeWitt: Powery comes from the Princeton Theological Seminary, where he was an assistant professor. He replaces Samuel Wells, who left Duke Chapel to return to England.
Powery was one of several who gave guest sermons at Duke Chapel in recent months. The one he delivered in June was called "Why Are You Afraid?"
Rev. Luke Powery: I wish Jesus was my preaching professor at Seminary. He has a way for integrating his walk and his talk. He does what he says. His work takes on flesh because he is the word made flesh.
Powery was ordained by the Progressive National Baptist Convention. Duke University is historically related to the Methodist Church, but services at the Chapel are ecumenical. Powery's first official day as Dean will be September 1.