Most Active Stories
- Why Teacher Pay Matters Even If You Are Not a Teacher [Interactive Map]
- Sixth-Grader's Science Fair Finding Shocks Ecologists
- NC Archaeologist Has Find-Of-A-Lifetime, 3 Years In A Row
- Carl Kasell Helps With Surprise Marriage Proposal
- Police In NC Could Start Tracking License Plates On State Highways
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
The State of Things
Thu June 5, 2014
Dreams Of Disaster and Redemption
"The 53rd Parallel" (Light Messages Publishing/2013) is the first novel in a series about the historic, yet little known, contamination of the English River. It was the largest mercury poisoning event in North American history, bringing devastation to the many Ojibway people native to the area.
Inspired by both personal and historical events, author Carl Nordgren meditates on themes of immigration and environment as well as new beginnings and old ghosts. There's a launch party tonight from 7 to 9pm at The Makery in Durham. Host Frank Stasio talks with Carl Nordgren, author and professor of creative entrepreneurship at Duke University.