Most Active Stories
- Statue Of A Homeless Jesus Startles A Wealthy Community
- Do You Know This Chapel Hill Bus Driver? Man Wants To Say Thanks
- Witness To A Texas Execution: Part One
- Not Enough Doctors? How The Medical Education System Is Contributing To The Shortage
- VIDEO: Discovered LIFE Magazine Photos Reveal Curious NC Tradition
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
State of Things
Fri August 17, 2012
Dirty Dancing at 25
Legions of fans will flock to Lake Lure, NC this weekend for the third annual Dirty Dancing Festival, a celebration of the 1987 movie starring Patrick Swayze.
The film was expected to be a flop when it debuted at the box office 25 years ago. Instead, the movie foxtrotted its way into the hearts of audience goers and became a blockbuster hit, grossing $170 million in the year of its release. It’s since become an oft-quoted pop culture icon. Host Frank Stasio explores the film’s enduring legacy with Maria Pramaggiore, a professor of Film Studies and Associate Head of English at North Carolina State University and Michelle Yelton, co-founder of the Dirty Dancing Festival.