Most Active Stories
- Four Concerts Scheduled In Expanded, Larger Back Porch Music Series In Durham
- Duke Professor Carries On Tradition Of Black Radical Poetry
- Why Do Political Activists Burn Out?
- First Openly Lesbian Presbyterian Pastor, One Year In
- As Costa Concordia Sank, Newlyweds Allowed Others To Take Life Boats First
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Arts & Culture
Fri February 17, 2012
Democrats Search for Best BBQ Sauce
Organizers of the Democratic National Convention in Charlotte are looking for the Nation's best barbeque sauce. All month long, the host committee is welcoming proposals of vinegar, tomato and mustard based sauces. The best sauce or sauces will then be sold in gift packs to help off-set the cost of the political event. Jackie Bateman is Grassroots Finance Director for the convention's host committee. She says sauce was a logical place to start.
Jackie Bateman: I've been really impressed about how much pride people have in their BBQ sauce; that just really struck me as something that truly represents the Carolinas.
Organizers say this is the first Host Committee to raise convention funds without accepting money from corporations. The group is raising funds from individuals, foundations and charitable organizations. The winning sauce from this competition will be sold throughout the summer along with other convention paraphernalia.