Most Active Stories
- A Tree's Life: From The North Carolina Mountains To Your Living Room
- North Carolina To End Use Of Gas Chambers In Animal Shelters
- The Militarization Of North Carolina's Police
- North Carolina: Conservatives, Educators Debate Content Of AP U.S. History Class
- Panthers: Cam Newton Has Two Fractures In His Lower Back
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Politics & Government
Mon February 24, 2014
Democratic U.S. Senator Kay Hagan Files For Re-Election
Democratic U.S. Senator Kay Hagan officially filed for re-election today, saying she will seek bipartisan solutions to address the country’s problems.
After filing her paperwork, she told reporters that interest groups dominating the state legislature are pouring money into the race to try to oust her.
“I am here for the seniors who write my office begging me to protect social security and medicare, for the students who are trying to better their future with the help of college loans. And their teachers who’ve encouraged them all along the way,” said Hagan.
This race could be the one that decides which party has a majority in the Senate in 2015. It’s also expected to be one of the most expensive in the country. The conservative group, Americans for Prosperity, has aired television commercials criticizing Hagan’s record. Her Republican challengers include the speaker of the state house, Thom Tillis.