Most Active Stories
- A Tree's Life: From The North Carolina Mountains To Your Living Room
- North Carolina To End Use Of Gas Chambers In Animal Shelters
- The Militarization Of North Carolina's Police
- North Carolina: Conservatives, Educators Debate Content Of AP U.S. History Class
- Panthers: Cam Newton Has Two Fractures In His Lower Back
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
The State of Things
Thu June 20, 2013
Deadly Bat Disease Spreads In NC Caves
An emerging disease known as White Nose Syndrome has wiped out bats across the Northeast, and now it's spreading in the North Carolina mountains.
Mass bat die-offs could have huge implications for the state's ecology and economy.
Host Frank Stasio learns more from Matina Kalcounis-Ruppell, associate professor of biology at UNC Greensboro, and Gabrielle Graeter, wildlife diversity biologist with the NC Wildlife Resources Commission.