Most Active Stories
- Suspects In Mugging Death Of UNC Chapel Hill Professor Charged With Murder
- Carl Kasell Helps With Surprise Marriage Proposal
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- A Portrait Photographer Defies Social Norms
- Why Teacher Pay Matters Even If You Are Not a Teacher [Interactive Map]
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
The State of Things
Thu June 20, 2013
Deadly Bat Disease Spreads In NC Caves
An emerging disease known as White Nose Syndrome has wiped out bats across the Northeast, and now it's spreading in the North Carolina mountains.
Mass bat die-offs could have huge implications for the state's ecology and economy.
Host Frank Stasio learns more from Matina Kalcounis-Ruppell, associate professor of biology at UNC Greensboro, and Gabrielle Graeter, wildlife diversity biologist with the NC Wildlife Resources Commission.