Most Active Stories
- A Tree's Life: From The North Carolina Mountains To Your Living Room
- North Carolina To End Use Of Gas Chambers In Animal Shelters
- The Militarization Of North Carolina's Police
- North Carolina: Conservatives, Educators Debate Content Of AP U.S. History Class
- Panthers: Cam Newton Has Two Fractures In His Lower Back
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
The State of Things
Fri June 13, 2014
A Dance For A Warrior
South African choreographer Gregory Maqoma grew up hearing the story of his ancestor, a 19th century Xhosa warrior. The man is remembered for his long fight to preserve cultural traditions and resist colonial rule. In the dance piece, "Exit/Exist," Maqoma explores the connections between his past and present while live musicians sing in the Xhosa language.
Host Frank Stasio talks with Maqoma and singers Tobela Mpela, Siphiwe Nkabinde, Xolisile Bongwana and Timothy Moloi, as well as guitarist Guiliano Modarelli, perform live. "Exit/Exist" will be performed at Reynolds Industries Theater in Durham June 14th through 16th as part of the American Dance Festival. It was produced by MAPP International Productions, a part of The Africa Contemporary Arts Consortium.