Most Active Stories
- Why Teacher Pay Matters Even If You Are Not a Teacher [Interactive Map]
- Suspects In Mugging Death Of UNC Chapel Hill Professor Charged With Murder
- Carl Kasell Helps With Surprise Marriage Proposal
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- A Portrait Photographer Defies Social Norms
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Politics & Government
Tue February 21, 2012
Dalton Launches Gubernatorial Campaign
Lieutenant Governor Walter Dalton has officially announced his campaign for governor.
Jessica Jones: Dalton kicked off his campaign in a refurbished warehouse in downtown Durham. Mayor Bill Bell introduced Dalton before an enthusiastic crowd of supporters and some state lawmakers. The lieutenant governor says the city's drive to restore old buildings to make space for new businesses and industries symbolizes what the state needs to do to succeed.
Walter Dalton: I believe in that approach. That is why I picked Durham, the city of medicine, as the place to announce that this morning, I filed to run for the office of governor of North Carolina.
Dalton singled out Republican candidate Pat McCrory, saying he and other North Carolina Republicans want to take the state in the wrong direction by cutting education funding and economic incentives for business.