Most Active Stories
- Statue Of A Homeless Jesus Startles A Wealthy Community
- Do You Know This Chapel Hill Bus Driver? Man Wants To Say Thanks
- Witness To A Texas Execution: Part One
- Not Enough Doctors? How The Medical Education System Is Contributing To The Shortage
- VIDEO: Discovered LIFE Magazine Photos Reveal Curious NC Tradition
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
Tue March 1, 2011
Cook Sentenced To Maximum
Raymond Cook has been sentenced to 36 to 53 months for the death of Elena Shapiro. The former plastic surgeon was convicted today of felony death by vehicle.
The jury came back this morning with a unanimous decision on the lesser charge of felony death by vehicle. The prosecutor had been seeking a second-degree murder conviction in the 2009 accident in Raleigh. Cook was driving 75 miles per hour in a 45 mile per hour zone and was also drunk at the time of the crash.
During this afternoon’s sentencing hearing, several of Shapiro’s family members spoke, including her aunt, Annie Bright.
"He's not an average citizen, like a plumber or an electrician because he took a Hippocratic Oath. He took a Hippocratic Oath to save lives. That's what sets him apart also to me. I hope and pray he's put away for as long as the law allows to contemplate his heainous acts."
Superior Court Judge Osmond Smith sentenced Cook to the maximum. Cook was led from the courtroom in handcuffs.