Most Active Stories
- Suspects In Mugging Death Of UNC Chapel Hill Professor Charged With Murder
- Carl Kasell Helps With Surprise Marriage Proposal
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- National Geographic Report, 'Rising Seas: Will The Outer Banks Survive?'
- A Portrait Photographer Defies Social Norms
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
The State of Things
Wed April 30, 2014
Common Core Controversy Continues
The Common Core standards, a set of benchmarks for K-12 math and English courses, continue to make headlines.
More than a dozen states are considering legislation to repeal Common Core, and now North Carolina may join the ranks. Last week, state lawmakers proposed a bill to eliminate the national standards and replace them with state-created benchmarks. The body is expected to vote on the measure in the short session next month. Host Frank Stasio talks to WUNC's education reporter Reema Khrais about the controversy.