Most Active Stories
- A Tree's Life: From The North Carolina Mountains To Your Living Room
- North Carolina To End Use Of Gas Chambers In Animal Shelters
- The Militarization Of North Carolina's Police
- North Carolina: Conservatives, Educators Debate Content Of AP U.S. History Class
- Panthers: Cam Newton Has Two Fractures In His Lower Back
Hosts, Reporters and Producers
The State of Things
Wed April 30, 2014
Common Core Controversy Continues
The Common Core standards, a set of benchmarks for K-12 math and English courses, continue to make headlines.
More than a dozen states are considering legislation to repeal Common Core, and now North Carolina may join the ranks. Last week, state lawmakers proposed a bill to eliminate the national standards and replace them with state-created benchmarks. The body is expected to vote on the measure in the short session next month. Host Frank Stasio talks to WUNC's education reporter Reema Khrais about the controversy.